To help Canada’s youth educators develop an understanding and appreciation for Remembrance Day, and encourage youth to participate, The Royal Canadian Legion created a teaching guide to assist primary and secondary schools in teaching students about the tradition of Remembrance and our military history.
The guide addresses the following subjects:
- Brief notes on Canadian military history and The Royal Canadian Legion
- Important Canadian symbols
- Remembrance themes in stories, songs, and poems
- Information about the annual Poppy campaign and how the money donated is used
- Information concerning the Legion’s National Poster and Literary Contests
- Suggested school Remembrance activities
In addition to the information available in the guide, your local branch of The Royal Canadian Legion can be of assistance, offering support in organizing ceremonies, and sharing their experiences.